School is back in session and procrastination is on its way to all of our front doors. So, here are some tips to get past this semester and ace every class. Let’s set some high goals for ourselves. We are capable of anything and everything we set our minds to. With some effort, literally anything is possible. So, here goes the tips:
- Realize that whatever you’re avoiding isn’t as bad as your mind makes it to be. Things are ALWAYS easier once you start doing them.
- Plan to do a small and not too intimidating portion of the task.-Let’s say you have to read a book for an assignment. Then tell yourself to read 10 pages. Just 10. Later it will turn out to be easier to continue past that but now we need to trick your brain.
- Count to 3 and GO! This is one of the smallest things that changed my life. When I really don’t want to do something I just count to three and do it. 3 seconds don’t give you time to doubt yourself and be afraid.
- Change your surroundings accordingly. Try to get rid off as many distractions as you can and at the same time make sure your surrounding isn’t unbelievably boring and depressing. Try playing music without lyrics and try to make your study place aesthetically pleasing.
- Get your phone away. Either delete your social media apps, turn off your phone, or at least put it out of your reach, or maybe even a different room.
- Ask someone to check up on you. If you can, ask someone to come and kick you in the butt if they catch you procrastinating.
- Take breaks that can’t turn into procrastination again. Go for a walk, clean something, or just lie down on the floor but no phone and no scrolling! Nothing addictive or time wasting/consuming.
- Be kinder to yourself. Beating yourself up over procrastinating and calling yourself bad things will only make you feel shittier and less productive. Be gentle with yourself. Ask yourself to do things nicely.
- Sometimes it is okay not to be productive. Blogs like mine can make you think that working all the time is the goal. But it’s not true at all. Sometimes procrastination can be a side effect of exhaustion or a mental illness even. Get some rest if you need it.
Thank you for reading.